Thursday, December 21, 2006

This cOld House 10

The big dig went very well yesterday and we now have a double garage sized hole in the front yard. The neighbors are going crazy!

The guys had virtually no trouble digging although they did come up against a previously unknown massive tree stump which took a little doing to get out. Also, the wing walls on the old garage corner and the corner by the front door are proving quite stubborn to remove. Concrete that has cured for 85 years is pretty hard stuff and when the backhoe started slipping off the hill when the operator tried to pull it down, they backed off and got out the saws. Two saws later, we still have wing walls and with the rain moving in, the digging crew gave up and left.

Speaking of rain, I was working at the computer and Mim was in the art room next door and I kept hearing a tinking sound, then Mim walked in asking if I wanted to play with her in the living room and I realized with horror that she wasn't in the art room and the sound I was hearing was not being made by her. Fearfully I investigated and confirmed my deepest darkest terror. Tink, tink, tink went the rain into the sopping spot in the carpet, like a stake into my heart.

The light at the end of the tunnel has officially been extinguished.

No comments: